DKP AND TAMIZH ISAI:
Smt D K Pattammal gave immense importance to singing Tamil compositions in concerts. She sang numerous Tamil compositions in all her concerts not just in the 'Thukada' (miscellaneous) part but in the main part itself. Right from the beginning of her career she always had a fascination for Tamil compositions, as Tamil was her mother tongue. She had high reverence for the language which dates back to the third millennium BC, rich in its literature. As a consequence of her attaching such high significance on singing Tamil compositions, she popularized very many Tamil compositions of diverse composers and one of the earliest Carnatic classical musicians to propagate tamil through music.
Her repertoire of Tamil krithis are endless. To name a few songs that she popularized would include:
- NIla kanta shivan's 'Enraikku shiva krupai' which she began with the anupallavi 'kanrin kural'
- PapanAsam shivan's 'kapAli', 'nAn oru vilaiyAttu bommaiyA', 'AndavanE'
- KotIswara iyer's 'mAlaginEn', 'muthu kumaraiyanE', 'vArana mukhA', 'vElavA'
- Gopalakrishna bhArati's 'Adiya pAdham', 'sabApathikku veru deivam', 'Thiruvadi Charanam'
- ArunAchala kavirAyar's 'rAma nAtaka keerthanAs', 'annai jAnaki', 'yArO ivar yArO'
- SudhdhAnanda bhArati's 'eppadi pAdinarO', 'thookkiya thiruvadi'
- VEdanAyakam pillai's 'chiththam eppadiyO',
- MuthuththAndavar's 'aiyanE natanam', 'kAnAmal irundhAl yen kalakkam theLiyAthEy'
- Subramaniya bhArati's compositions
- Thiruppugazh, Thevaram, ThiruppAvai, Panniru Thirumurai, Alwar Pasurams and other Tamil devotional music genres.
DKP desired to sing songs in the bhajan singing style of eminent singers like ROshanArA Begum and SAigAl and to facilitate that avidity of her, PapanAsam Sivan composed some songs to be rendered by DKP (in the same tunes popularized by them). Some of them are:
Kannan madhura idhazhai adaindhAi,
Songs like these and Kalki’s 'pUnkuyil kUvum pUnchOlaiyil oru nAl' were composed as a result of this desire of DKP and her renditions of these songs will remain immortal.